How are complaints dealt with?
If your developer is on the Register of Developers and you reserved your home after their registration date, then you are covered by the New Homes Quality Code and can ask the New Homes Ombudsman to investigate your complaint.
- The easiest way to contact them is via their website at www.nhos.org.uk.
- The Ombudsman will ask you to enter details of your complaint and any supporting evidence.
- If your complaint is eligible, the Ombudsman will approach the developer to give their side of things.
- Both parties have the opportunity to review all the information and evidence that has been provided before the Ombudsman makes an assessment on whether there has been a breach of the New Homes Quality Code.
- The Ombudsman will publish a draft decision and both parties have 10 days to add any further information before the final decision is published.
- Any additional comments are reviewed by the Ombudsman before they publish their final decision to both parties.
If your developer is not registered, or you reserved your home before their registration date, then you aren’t covered by the New Homes Quality Code but may still be protected by an alternative scheme. Your developer can confirm the contact details for the scheme you are protected by and how to contact them.