How are complaints dealt with?

In the first instance, if you are unhappy with the quality of your new home or the service provided then you should contact your developer. Details of how to do this can usually be found on their website or in any information provided to you when you moved in.

Still dissatisfied...

Are you protected by NHQB?

If your developer is on the Register of Developers and you reserved your home after their registration date, then you are covered by the New Homes Quality Code and can ask the New Homes Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. 

  • The easiest way to contact them is via their website at
  • The Ombudsman will ask you to enter details of your complaint and any supporting evidence. 
  • If your complaint is eligible, the Ombudsman will approach the developer to give their side of things.
  • Both parties have the opportunity to review all the information and evidence that has been provided before the Ombudsman makes an assessment on whether there has been a breach of the New Homes Quality Code.
  • The Ombudsman will publish a draft decision and both parties have 10 days to add any further information before the final decision is published.
  • Any additional comments are reviewed by the Ombudsman before they publish their final decision to both parties.
Not protected...

If your developer is not registered, or you reserved your home before their registration date, then you aren’t covered by the New Homes Quality Code but may still be protected by an alternative scheme.  Your developer can confirm the contact details for the scheme you are protected by and how to contact them.